Saturday, May 10, 2014

Pests Tell a Story


In my hand I hold a spark of life
from a thousand oaks that were
and a thousand yet to be
In my hand I hold an acorn

Inside my hand is a spark of life
that has been passed to me
from thousands of ancestors
through two living cells united as one
a spark of life that has been alive
since first a man was inbreathed
by the One who created life.

What is this thing called life?
Is it some kind of energy?
Is it a frequency of sound or light?
It's expression is everywhere
It is every color of the rainbow
but not everything with color is alive
It responds to stimuli
but so does my tablet
and it definitely is not alive
Life increases, grows, multiplies
but not everything that grows is alive
Science can give life from life
Medicine can help a body heal
Can you create a spark of life
if you don't know what it is?

Death is always chasing life
Bound to extinguish its spark
Every time  it seems he's won
Life comes out of death.

The One who breathed life into Adam,
life that still remains in me,
opened my eyes to see
life and death and life in a bug
that's a pest to milkweed.
It was a fascinating show.

The larva of the bug















The larva leaves the pile of larvae and finds his way to a twig where he  fastens himself upside down, then begins to leave behind what he once was.








New legs unfolding













Almost complete
















As soon as he's free, he turns himself right side up and rests a bit.










New bug, still developing














He crawls  back to his fellows, his wings lengthen and begin to change color












Still darkening













Finally, new bugs. The one on the far right is still darkening










Does it seem strange that the One who created life can and will resurrect life? In fact, He already has.

I am the Resurrection and the Life. Whoever believes in Me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. John 11:25 

1 comment:

Allison said...

What an amazing capture! I think I like the bug best when he's just out of his shell, and before he is darkened. I noticed a little ladybug in hidden in the corner of the first picture. She kind of blends in with the other spotted bugs around her. Once a bunch of ladybugs lighted on one of our trees, and we got to see ladybug larvae too. I must say, the larvae isn't as pretty as the grown bug. :D