Monday, December 6, 2010

Earth's Heartbeat

Haiku is a Japanese form of poetry; each poem has three lines, first line with five syllables, second line with seven syllables, third line with five syllables. Traditionally it is about the four seasons and/or nature. For a poetry class recently I wrote a set of four haiku.

A downy snow quilt
comforts a slumbering earth
as it's strength returns.            




Spring bursts from hiding
Flings rainbow colors with glee
Lures birds into song.



Long days of sunlight
Insects hum and fireflys dance
Earth is draped with green.



Earth yields her bounty
to hungry souls and retires
in lavish array.

3 comments:

Angeline said...

Sharon, nice pictures with great haiku. I enjoy these types of picture-poems, so to speak. I'm Angeline from the poetry class. I came here after you posted your link.

angeline said...

Thanks, Sharon, for visiting my site and leaving a comment. I'm so excited to get connected with you. I've already bookmarked this, so I can come back.

marijke said...

Hello Sharon,
As you probably have noticed my husband and I have become friends with your brother David by means of facebook. It was through him that I discovered your blog.
And I want to tell you how I enjoy your poems embellished with excellent photos! I love it how you express your love for nature and her Creator.
It warms my heart to read how He obviously is also your Friend Who rescues, sets free and heals.
You even inspire me to try to create haiku too.
Thank you for sharing your artistic gifts,
a sister in Christ Jesus, Marijke Halff from the Netherlands.